Pacman to Pokemon Ages 8 – 12
2D Retro Style Game Design
Campers are divided into two groups by age and skill level: 7-10 years & 10-12 years. No previous coding experience necessary!
Beginner to Intermediate: Code and create your own monsters and game characters! Discover the dynamic programming and design strategies behind games like Pacman and Pokemon. Campers will learn and refine a variety of digital media skills including coding, game art & animation. We’ll cover:
- Coding Skills using Gamemaker’s drag and drop coding blocks
- 2D Character Design & Animation
- Game Planning and Design
- Multilevel Game Design & Strategies
Students will use a world class game engine called Gamemaker Studio 2, available for no cost as a Trial version. It can run on MacOS or Windows computers.
At week’s end campers can showcase their games for friends & family!
DATE: Aug 9-13th
This is a ONE-WEEK virtual camp
TIMES: 12:30-2:30 PM AST (Nova Scotia, NB, PEI)
And 11:30-1:30 PM EST (Ontario, New York)
TIMES IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS
Please double check your local times for accuracy
4:30-6:30 PM GMT – London, United Kingdom
12:30-2:30 PM AST – Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
11:30-1:30 PM EST – Ontario, New York, Florida
10:30-12:30 PM CST- Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Wisconsin
9:30-11:30 AM MST – Alberta, Colorado, Mexico
8:30-10:30 AM PST – Vancouver, Washington, California
Add to your skills with Roblox or Unity 3D camp where we transition to writing scripts!
This program will equip & improve your child’s digital literacy skills in:
- Coding with an Object Oriented Language
- Creative Problem Solving
- Planning and strategising
We provide a creative and socially stimulating learning environment that can:
- Boost self-esteem
- Foster independent learning
- Enhance creative use of technology
Take a Sneek Peek
Into one of the classes
Justin tells Samantha how he created his game using Gamemaker Studio .
Be sure to check out our Artech Game Arcade with examples of Gamemaker Games created in our 2D Game Design camps. You can play these onlline!
How do I prepare for virtual programs?
- Check out our Virtual Set up and Information page with tips and suggestions for getting ready.
How do I join the class?
- You will receive a Zoom Access Link by email on the Saturday before the camp starts.
Requirements to follow along in this program:
- Mac, PC Computer
- Web Cam & Good Internet Connect
- Access to Zoom Video Conferencing
- Refer to the two Setup videos below for software requirements
Get set up with Gamemaker Studio 2 – There is a no expiry time limitation on a free trial version (with some available for MacOS and PC computers. Get Gamemaker. There are some feature limitations with the free trial, but it is suitable for this course. There is also a one year Creator License available for approximately $39 US.